9.01.2011

The 5 postulates of Dalton's Atomic Theory

  • Elements are made of tiny particles called atoms.
I think this is true because everything is made of atoms are there are very many that combine together. 

  • All atoms of a given element are identical.
I think this is false because there are different types of atoms.

  • Atoms cannot be split, created, or destroyed.
I think this is false because I think atoms can be destroyed. 

  • Atoms of different elements combine in simple whole-number ratios to form compounds.
I think this is true because atoms combine together to form compounds.

  • A chemical reaction is a rearrangement of atoms.
I think this is true because a chemical reaction does involve a rearrangement of atoms to make the products.

References
  1. "John Dalton": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dalton
  2. "Dalton's Atomic Theory": http://www.iun.edu/~cpanhd/C101webnotes/composition/dalton.html

4 comments:

  1. Actually, most of these statements are true if you research them correctly. 1,2, partially 3 (atoms cannot be destroyed or created but they can be split), and 4 are all true, only 5 and partially 3 are incorrect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. atoms cannot be destroyed. law of conservation of mass itself says that

      Delete
  2. Yh I think this theory prove by John Dalton is correct

    ReplyDelete